Winter has arrived today and the days will only grow shorter and the temperatures cooler, forcing less moisture into the air. Cranking up the heat inside our homes dehydrates your skin even more. Your skin is your body’s biggest organ and winter can test it’s limits with problems such as itching, burning, flaking and more.
We absolutely love nourishing our skin with essential oils this time of year. Choosing the right essential oils can make such a difference in supporting your skin in so many ways. If you’ve already stocked up on your moisturisers, don’t worry! The advantage of essential oils is they can be added to your already existing skin care range without compromising what you’ve already bought – they will only improve your existing product even more. We recommend adding 5 drops to existing bottles of moisturiser that are less than 100ml and 10 drops to bottles greater than 150ml. Here are our top tips and essential oils to feed and rejuvenate your complexion during the dry months ahead.
1. Firstly, we recommend using your Petal Diffuser more regularly during winter months. It will stream a vapor of water mist into the air, adding more moisture back into the air inside your home that is naturally drier during cold temperatures.
2. Rose essential oil – balances moisture levels in the skin and a must this winter Rose Touch is a more affordable and convenient option than the Rose on it own, as it comes already diluted in a carrier oil and ready to use in a rollerball. Rose Touch can be used to moisturise the skin, reduce the appearance of skin imperfections, and promote the appearance of an even skin tone and healthy complexion. Rose Touch can also be applied to the neck for the added benefit of an uplifting aroma throughout the day.
3. Sandwood essential oil – one of the top benefits of Sandalwood is its ability to promote healthy looking, smooth skin. Applying Sandalwood to the skin will not only promote a smooth complexion, but can also be helpful in reducing the appearance of skin imperfections. To use Sandalwood essential oil for your skin, try creating your own at-home spa experience by doing the following: fill a large bowl with steaming water, apply one to two drops of Sandalwood essential oil to your face, and cover your head with a towel. Next, place your face over the steaming water. This at-home spa treatment will leave your skin feeling nourished and rejuvenated.
4. Lavender essential oil – with its cooling and calming properties is especially good for supporting skin conditions related to inflammation and that is irratated. Use lavender in any skin application that requires soothing.
5. Roman Chamomile essential oil – has a calming effect on the skin and supports dry skin conditions. Dry conditions irritate our skin, and Roman Chamomile will penetrate deeply into the layers of your skin and soothe it on all levels. It is especially useful if you happen to have sensitive skin, as it is extremely gentle.
6. Helichrysum essential oil – often used to prevent signs of aging and referred to as “The Everlasting Flower” because of its rejuvenating benefits for the skin and ability to improve the complexion. It is effective in supporting skin irritations such as rashes. Add Helichrysum to your skin care regime to assist with sensitive skin and in particular redness, rashes, or irritation.
7. Frankincense essential oil – has the ability to strengthen skin and improve its tone, elasticity and support dry or cracked skin. It’s soothing properties are used to rejuvenate skin and help reduce the appearance of imperfections when applied topically.
Each of these essential oils can be used on their own, or blended with one another to create a powerful moisturiser. We highly recommend diluting in a carrier oil for sensitive skin, and to make it last longer. The best carrier oil for the body is fractionated coconut oil, and for your face we suggest using jojoba oil.
If we had to choose one product this winter which incorporates the benefits of all of the above it would without doubt have to be doTERRA’s Salubelle. A proprietary blend of essential oils that include Frankincense Resin, Hawaiian Sandalwood, Lavender Flower, Myrrh Gum Resin, Helichrysum Flower, Rose Flower essential oils. Salubelle is formulated to protect and nourish skin while helping to reduce contributing factors to the appearance of aging skin. Saubelle is easily absorbed into the skin and can be used on the face, neck, and décolletage to support dehydration, irritation and to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and ageing skin.
The bottom line is if you take care of your skin the right way, you can look and feel better than ever, and with the right essential oils you can help make that easier to do.